Thursday, November 11, 2010

Jesus, the Great I AM

Originally posted by Muslim

Jesus did not say, "Before Abraham was born, I was the I am that I am."

The sentence "Before Abraham was, I am.", makes no sense and does not confirm that he was claiming to be "I am".


Please look at this translation, which confirms that Jesus was no I am:

"John 8:58 Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth. I already was before Abraham was born.' "

No I am
in this translation from Worldwide English New Testament.
Greek reads before Abraham was, I am.
ENDQUOTE
The Greek reads as follows:

πριν αβρααμ γενεσθαι εγω ειμι
prin abraam genesthai ego eimi

The proper translation is:

before Abraham was, I AM

This was a clear reference to Exodus 3:14:

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

That the Jews understood the reference to Exodus 3:14 is clear from their reaction:

Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple. John 8:59

This was another case of Jesus claiming to be God:

18For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father,making Himself equal with God. John 5:18

33The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." John 10:33

No comments:

Post a Comment